ANATOMY AND CHARACTER SCULPTURE - Exercise

20.04.2026 - 13.06.2026(Week 01 - Week 08)
Lee Xiang Ling / 0384095 
Anatomy and Character Sculpture / Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media 
Exercise / Fundamentals of Anatomy and Digital Sculpting

LIST / JUMPLINK


LIST OF CONTENT


INSTRUCTIONS

<iframe allow="autoplay" height="480" src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K_CB_FNHv1tXeFJ4xa28y4hP4pu8bA8g/preview" width="640"></iframe>

PROCESS

This exercise requires us to demonstrate our research and understanding in anatomy. 

DECONSTRUCT & CONSTRUCT
For this exercise, we needed to find reference photos of one male and one female model in different standing poses to study basic human proportions and joint positions. By breaking the body down into simple shapes and gradually adding volume and body contours, I was able to understand the relationship between the head, torso, pelvis, arms, and legs more clearly.

Fig. 1 - Deconstruct and Construct_JPEG (27/4/2026)

During the process, I also started to notice the differences in male and female body proportions, as well as how the angles of the shoulders, pelvis, and legs change depending on the pose. Through this exercise, I learned that understanding the basic body structure and joint placement before drawing the full figure can make the pose look more natural and help reduce proportion mistakes.


SKELETALS STUDIES (HUMAN)
For this exercise, we built on the basic body structures from the previous study to further explore the human skeletal structure and proportions, as well as the differences between male and female skeletons. We only needed to sketch the general bone structure without going into too much detail.

Fig. 2 - Skeletals Studies_JPEG (3/5/2026)

Through this exercise, I learned how the direction and position of the bones change according to the body’s movement, pose, and weight distribution. This helped me understand the internal support structure of the human body more clearly, allowing me to draw figures more accurately instead of relying only on the outer body contour.


MUSCLE STUDIES
This exercise mainly focused on understanding and studying the structure and position of human muscles, as well as how they change during movement. I also observed the relationship and connections between the muscles and the skeletal structure.

Fig. 3 - Muscle Studies 1_JPEG (9/5/2026)

Fig. 4 - Muscle Studies 2_JPEG (9/5/2026)

To better understand human muscle anatomy, I researched and referred to a variety of references, especially how muscles change in different poses. 

Fig. 5 - Research of muscle_JPEG (7/5/2026)

This exercise gave me a clearer understanding of the distribution and structure of the human muscles, which will help me create more natural body forms, volume, and movement when drawing figures in different poses.


HEAD
This exercise mainly focused on studying the basic structure and proportions of the head, as well as the placement of facial features. I researched different references and used construction guidelines to understand the general position and proportion of each facial feature.

Fig. 6 - Head_JPEG (11/5/2026)

Drawing facial features has always been one of my weaker areas, so through this study, I gained a better understanding of the proportions and relationships between facial features, as well as how the head structure changes from different angles. I also learned that establishing the head structure and guidelines first makes it easier to place the facial features correctly and reduce proportion mistakes.


HAND
This exercise mainly focused on studying the basic structure, proportions, and joint movements of the hand. I drew different hand poses from references and simplified the palm and fingers into basic shapes to help me understand the position of the finger joints, finger proportions, and how the structure of the hand changes during different movements.


Fig. 7 - Hand_JPEG (17/5/2026)

Hands have always been one of the more difficult areas for me to draw, especially when the fingers are bent, overlapping, or shown from different perspectives. I often make mistakes in their proportions and placement. Through this exercise, I gained a better understanding of the structural relationship between the palm and fingers, as well as how joint movement affects the overall shape of the hand. It also helped me judge the position and direction of the fingers more accurately when drawing different hand gestures.


FEET
This exercise focused on studying the basic structure and proportions of the foot, as well as how its form changes from different angles. I used references of feet in different poses and perspectives, and simplified the sole, heel, and toes into basic forms to better understand their proportions and structural relationships.

Fig. 8 - Feet_JPEG (17/5/2026)

The structure of the foot was more complex than I originally expected, especially when viewed from different perspectives or when the foot is bent. Through this exercise, I gained a better understanding of the relationship between the sole, heel, and toes, as well as how the shape of the foot changes during different movements. This will help me draw the feet and weight distribution more accurately when creating standing or moving figures.


FINAL OUTCOME


<iframe allow="autoplay" height="480" src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/11x6hlmYiSHcz546jCtOQaLufnCFz6JmE/preview" width="640"></iframe>


REFLECTION

Through this series of anatomy studies, I developed a clearer understanding of the human body, from its overall structure to smaller details. In the past, I relied more on the outer contour and visual judgement when drawing figures. Now, I have started to pay more attention to body proportions, skeletal structure, muscle placement, and the relationships between joints, while using simple forms to analyse different poses.

During the process, I also became more aware of my weaknesses, especially when drawing the body from different angles or in complex poses, where I often make mistakes in proportion and placement. However, through continuous research, reference observation, and repeated practice, I gradually learned to understand the body through its internal structure instead of simply copying its outer appearance. These studies also made me realise that drawing the human body requires long-term observation, understanding, and practice to continuously improve my knowledge of anatomy and movement.