VEHICLE AND PROPS DESIGN - Exercise

20.04.2026 - 13.06.2026(Week 01 - Week 08)
Lee Xiang Ling / 0384095 
Vehicle and Props Design / Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media 
Exercise / Fundamentals of Vehicle Design

LIST / JUMPLINK

LIST OF CONTENT


INSTRUCTIONS

<iframe allow="autoplay" height="480" src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HU_0TJcS8WYrC7k90oY3YW-7fKLERYdx/preview" width="640"></iframe>

PROCESS

This exercise requires us to demonstrate and develop a thorough understanding of vehicle and prop design through a series of continuous practices and exercises.

FORM AND SHAPE
I selected three everyday objects: Bluetooth earphones, a pen, and a clip. Each object has a different form and structure, allowing me to practise simplifying real objects into basic geometric forms and understanding their three-dimensional structures from different angles.

  • PEN
    The pen has a relatively simple overall structure and can mainly be broken down into long cylinders, smaller cylindrical forms, and the pen clip. However, it still contains several smaller internal components. By drawing it from different angles and separating its parts, I was able to better understand cylindrical forms in perspective and how different components connect together.


Fig. 1 - Sketches 01 (Pen)_JPEG (24/4/2026)
  • CLIP
    The clip has a more complex structure than it first appears, as it consists of two main gripping parts, circular joints, and a spring in the centre. I first simplified the overall structure into basic forms, then observed how each part changes position when the clip opens and closes. This exercise helped me pay more attention to movable structures and how individual components connect and function together.

    Fig. 2 - Sketches 02 (Clip)_JPEG (24/4/2026)
  • BLUETOOTH EARPHONES
    The Bluetooth earphones are mainly made up of circular, oval, and rounded forms. I started with the overall shape of the charging case before observing the proportions between the lid, earphone slots, and earbuds. Drawing it in open, closed, and different viewing angles helped me understand how curved forms change in perspective.
Fig. 3 - Sketches 03 (Bluetooth Earphones)_JPEG (24/4/2026)

By drawing the objects from different angles in this exercise, I gained a better understanding of perspective, proportion, and the connections between different parts. Instead of only focusing on the outer appearance, I started to pay more attention to the internal structure and function of an object, which also gave me a better foundation for future vehicle and prop design.


DECONSTRUCT & CONSTRUCT
This exercise requires us to select three different types of vehicles from sea, land, and air and study their basic structures. 

I selected a jet ski, motorcycle, and fighter jet, first observing their overall forms and proportions before simplifying their complex structures into basic geometric shapes. By reconstructing these vehicles, I was able to better understand the structural characteristics of different vehicle types, as well as the proportions and connections between their different parts.

Fig. 4 - Deconstruct and construct_JPEG (28/4/2026)


SILHOUETTE STUDIES 
Based on the vehicle direction selected for Project 1, I conducted a silhouette study of different types of motorcycles. 

Fig. 5 - Silhouette Studies of Motorcycles_JPEG (3/5/2026)

By simplifying the details and focusing on the main outlines and proportions, I was able to compare the forms of different motorcycles more clearly and observe how the body length, wheel size, seat height, and front and rear structures affect the overall appearance. This study also helped me explore a suitable form and direction for my own vehicle design.


MATERIAL BALLS
This exercise required us to render different material spheres and observe how various materials react to light through reflections, values, and surface textures. 

I mainly selected materials that could be used in my Project vehicle, including iron, titanium, copper, cobalt, polypropylene (PP), and black-coated steel

Fig. 6 - Material Balls_JPEG (19/5/2026)

Through this study, I gained a better understanding of the differences in highlights, reflections, and roughness between materials, which helped me make more considered material choices for my vehicle design.

PERSPECTIVE DRAWING
In this exercise, we used line weight and different viewing angles to show perspective and spatial relationships

During the practice, I studied how line thickness, distance, and the shape of an object change from different perspectives. I found that thicker lines can emphasise closer or more important parts, while thinner lines can represent areas that are further away or less dominant. Through this exercise, I learned that lines are not only used to define outlines, but can also help create depth, hierarchy, and three-dimensional form, which is useful when drawing more complex vehicle structures.


VALUE STUDIES
In this exercise, we studied the relationship between objects and light, including highlights, shadows, cast shadows, and how different surfaces react to lighting. 

Through this practice, I found that light and shadow not only help create a sense of three-dimensional form, but also make different structures and spatial layers easier to understand. The direction and intensity of the light source can also greatly affect the overall appearance of an object. This helped me become more aware of how lighting can be used to show volume and structure in future vehicle and prop designs.



FINAL OUTCOME


<iframe allow="autoplay" height="480" src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IxzzBQ2YII6ZOHEW98Nkknq3v94y-ypL/preview" width="640"></iframe>


REFLECTION

Through this series of exercises, I developed a more complete understanding of vehicle and prop design. From observing everyday objects and simplifying them into basic forms, to studying vehicle structures, silhouettes, materials, perspective, line weight, and lighting, I began to realise that a successful design is not only about creating an attractive appearance, but also about considering structure, function, proportion, and visual presentation.

During the process, I also noticed that I am still not fully confident when drawing complex structures and objects from different perspectives. Sometimes, I focus too much on details and overlook the overall proportion and form. However, through continuous observation, simplification, and repeated practice, I gradually learned to start with the overall structure before adding details. These exercises also helped me think more carefully about why certain design choices are made and how structure, materials, and lighting can work together in my future vehicle designs.