PROJECT 01
This project allows us to explore different vehicle designs within our own
world setting. We can reference existing IPs and develop a unique world
through its culture, resources, occupations, environment, technology, and
functions, making the vehicle design connected to its background.
WORLD & CHARACTER SETTING
First, we needed to establish the world setting and character concept,
followed by creating a
moodboard as a visual
reference for the later design process. I chose to base my project on
the world of the Chinese sci-fi romance game
Love and Deepspace.
The game combines futuristic technology, combat, and dangerous creatures
known as Wanderers,
making it a suitable setting for developing a character with combat and
survival elements.
|
|
Fig. 1.1 - Moodboard of World Setting_JPEG (13/5/2026)
|
Based on the original world setting, I further developed my own story
background and placed it in the
border zone of a futuristic city in 2123. This area exists between officially controlled districts and the
underground black market, where security is unstable and Wanderers
frequently appear. Hunters, informants, injured civilians, and people
involved in illegal activities often gather here, making it a dangerous
grey area filled with different people and stories.
|
|
Fig. 1.2 - Wanderers_JPEG (13/5/2026)
|
|
Based on this world setting, I designed the character as an independent
hunter and doctor. She travels through dangerous areas for
missions, combat, and medical assistance, so her vehicle needs high
mobility while also providing medical storage and basic mission support.
|
Fig. 1.3 - Character Design_JPEG (13/5/2026)
|
VEHICLE DESIGN PROCESS
Based on the previous world and character settings, I finally chose a
motorcycle
as the character’s main vehicle.
Compared with cars or other larger vehicles, a motorcycle is
smaller, more agile, and more suitable for moving through city
borders, ruins, narrow streets, and complex terrain. It also fits the
character’s independent way of working.
|
Fig. 1.4 - Moodboard of Motorcycle_JPEG (13/5/2026)
|
Since the character is involved in combat, exploration, and rescue
missions, the motorcycle needs more than just
speed and mobility. I also planned functions such as medical
supply storage, emergency evacuation, night scouting, and low-noise
movement. Through these features, I wanted the vehicle to become part
of the character’s identity and mission needs, rather than simply a
form of transportation.
After confirming the vehicle type, I started creating different
thumbnail sketches to
explore variations in shape, proportion, riding posture, and overall
silhouette.
|
|
Fig. 1.5 - Thumbnail Sketches 01_JPEG (20/5/2026)
|
|
|
Fig. 1.6 - Thumbnail Sketches 02_JPEG (20/5/2026)
|
I experimented with
traditional motorcycle structures, futuristic technology, and
streamlined forms inspired by animals
to make the design fit my world setting. Lecturer also suggested that I
further study and break down the structure of real motorcycles,
including the front section, body, seat, power system, and wheels. This
helped me explore more creative variations while keeping the design
functional and believable, rather than simply changing its appearance.
Based on my lecturer’s feedback, I selected
Design 5 and Design 13
from my earlier sketches for further development. Both designs feature a
low body, streamlined silhouette, and a strong sense of speed, which fit
the character’s need for fast movement and missions.
|
|
Fig. 1.7 - The firearm design in Love and Deepspace_JPEG (24/5/2026)
|
During this exploration, I also studied
futuristic firearm designs, using their sharp forms, layered armour, and mechanical lines as
inspiration while combining elements from both concepts. This stage
helped me define the overall design language of the vehicle while
considering combat, mobility, stealth, and medical support functions.
After deciding on the main design direction, I further developed the
vehicle’s structure and functions by combining elements from the
previous concepts.
I kept the low and streamlined body while refining details such as the
front, rear section, and handles. To strengthen the futuristic setting,
I replaced traditional wheels with a
hover turbine system
hidden underneath the body, allowing the vehicle to travel slightly
above the ground. I also added
deployable landing supports
to keep the vehicle stable when parked. At this stage, I began to focus
not only on appearance, but also on how the vehicle could function and
operate logically.
|
Fig. 1.8 - Design Process 1_JPEG (26/5/2026)
|
After establishing the basic structure, I gradually refined the
vehicle’s form, colour, and details while exploring different
perspective views. However, while working on
Process 2, I realized that my understanding of perspective for complex
mechanical forms was still weak, which caused some distortion in the
proportions and structure.
To solve this, I first created a
basic 3D model in Blender to confirm the overall proportions, volume, and perspective, then used
it as a reference to complete
Process 3. This process
also helped me better understand how the vehicle’s structure changes
from different angles.
|
|
Fig. 1.9 - Design Process 2_JPEG (10/6/2026)
|
Next, I further developed the vehicle’s
colour scheme, props, accessories, and materials.
I tested several colour combinations and finally chose a
white, black, and cyan
palette to give the vehicle both a futuristic and medical
appearance.
|
|
Fig. 1.10 - Color Application_JPEG (12/6/2026)
|
I then developed additional features such as the medical kit, storage
compartments, charging port, handles, side wings, and hover turbines to
make the vehicle more functional.
|
|
Fig. 1.11 - Design Breakdown_JPEG (14/6/2026)
|
For the materials, I selected reinforced
transparent glass, composite polymer, black-coated steel, and luminous
materials
based on the purpose of each component, aiming to keep the design both
futuristic and structurally believable.
|
|
Fig. 1.12 - Materials & Function_JPEG (14/6/2026)
|
BLENDER LEARNING & BLOCKOUT
Next, our lecturer introduced us to
Blender
for vehicle modelling. Although ZBrush could also be used, Blender
was recommended because it is more suitable for hard-surface and
mechanical modelling.
Therefore, I started using Blender to create my vehicle. Since I was
not familiar with the software at first, I began by learning the
basic interface, essential modelling tools, and common
shortcuts. I also practised basic operations such as moving, rotating,
scaling, Edit Mode, and object control to prepare for the modelling
process.
During the modelling process, our lecturer suggested using the
Mirror
and
Array modifiers to
improve efficiency. The Mirror modifier helped me quickly create
symmetrical parts of the vehicle, while the Array modifier was
useful for repeated mechanical components and details.
|
|
Fig. 1.13 - Blockout Process_JPEG (10/6/2026)
|
For the
3D blockout, I first built the basic body and overall proportions of the
vehicle using simple geometric forms to establish the main
silhouette. I then gradually added the hover turbines, rear
Turbo,
seat, front section, and other mechanical components.
At this stage, I focused more on the overall structure rather than
small details. I repeatedly checked the model from the side, front,
top, and perspective views to adjust the scale and position of each
part, making sure the 3D model remained consistent with my original
concept before moving on to further refinement.
|
Fig. 1.14 - Final Blockout_JPEG (14/6/2026)
|
<iframe allow="autoplay" height="480"
src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dNlmlNxmg_trWLhwu034rxHU_smf7-xE/preview"
width="640"></iframe>
PROJECT 02
In this project, we continued developing the vehicle design from
Project 1, further refining its form, structure, and functions while also
creating related
prop designs.
I started developing the
control panel design
of the motorcycle by considering what information the rider needs
to see and how the controls should be arranged.
I collected references of motorcycle dashboards, handlebar
controls, and digital displays to study the layout of speed,
navigation, energy status, warning information, and function
buttons. This helped me better understand the logic of real
motorcycle controls and gave me a stronger base for adding more
futuristic functions and interface elements later.
|
|
Fig. 2.1 - References of the control panel_JPEG (20/6/2026)
|
|
First, I created an initial sketch by combining the control panel
research with the character’s needs.
I planned the main display, driving mode buttons, handles, and
smart control interface, while also adding medical-related
features such as a
patient scanner, medical kit, and wearable smart control
device.
|
|
Fig. 2.2 - Sketches_JPEG (23/6/2026)
|
|
After confirming the control panel design, I started adding it to
the 3D model and used a mannequin to test the riding proportion
and control position.
|
|
Fig. 2.3 - 3D Blockout of Control
Panel_JPEG (5/7/2026)
|
|
|
|
Fig. 2.4 - 3D Blockout with human_JPEG (7/7/2026)
|
|
However, I encountered a problem where the control panel became
unclear and poorly defined. At first, I thought the cuts were not deep enough, so I tried
making them deeper, but there was no obvious improvement.
Lecturer later explained that I should not create all the details
directly on one mesh. Instead, I should use the
Boolean modifier,
building separate shapes and using them to cut the main form. This
would keep the model cleaner and make later adjustments easier. Since
I had not saved another version of the file, I had to restart the
model from the beginning. Although this took extra time, it taught me
the importance of using a proper modelling workflow and saving
different versions during the process.
|
|
Fig. 2.5 - Final Design_JPEG (10/7/2026)
|
|
Our lecturer asked us to clearly show the
function of every button and system
on the vehicle’s control panel instead of focusing only on
appearance.
Therefore, I broke down the control area and labelled functions such
as navigation, scanning, driving mode, energy, storage, emergency
brake, hover control, balance, lighting, boost, and wing control. I
also added a touch interface, AI voice assistance, and map display to
strengthen the futuristic setting.
|
|
Fig. 2.6 - Function Introduction_JPEG (12/7/2026)
|
|
PROPS DESIGN
At the same time, I also started creating
3D models of the props
to better understand their structure and make it easier to draw
them from different angles. After considering several ideas, I
decided to further develop the
smart band and medical kit.
|
|
Fig. 2.7 - References of Props_JPEG (14/7/2026)
|
The Smart Band is
one of the character’s main wearable props, combining functions
such as
medical scanning, information display, and smart
control. I first built the overall form around the wrist, then added
details such as the screen, buttons, and layered outer panels. The
3D model also helped me draw the prop from different angles and
better show how it is worn and used.
|
|
Fig. 2.8 - Props Design - Smart Band_JPEG (18/7/2026)
|
|
|
|
Fig. 2.9 - 3D Blockout of Smart Band_JPEG (18/7/2026)
|
|
The
Medical Kit is
designed to
store and carry medical supplies
during missions, so I wanted it to feel futuristic while still
having a practical storage system. I first developed the case,
handle, locks, and protective outer structure, then considered the
internal compartments when opened. The 3D model helped me present
the closed and opened forms more accurately from different views.
|
|
Fig. 2.10 - Props Design - Medical Kit_JPEG
(18/7/2026)
|
|
|
|
Fig. 2.11 - 3D Blockout of Medical Kit_JPEG
(18/7/2026)
|
|
<iframe allow="autoplay" height="480"
src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xcuhb3f4ROPUspDeWHAmiGmXBkG9L5xI/preview"
width="640"></iframe>
FINAL PROJECT
In this project, we needed to complete the
3D modelling of our vehicle and props
developed from the previous projects, while further refining the
structure, details, materials, and presentation.
After completing the models, we also needed to present the final design
from different angles and create a
Key Art, placing the
vehicle in an environment that fits the world setting to show its
function, atmosphere, and overall visual direction.
After rebuilding the basic model, I started refining each part of the
vehicle by adding surface patterns, layered structures, mechanical
details, and
bevels.
|
|
Fig. 3.1 - Final 3D Blockout_JPEG (27/7/2026)
|
|
These adjustments made the original blockout look more complete and
helped clarify the connections between different components. At this
stage, I continued checking the overall proportions and silhouette while
reducing overly sharp edges, gradually bringing the model closer to the
final design.
After completing the model, I started
assigning colours and materials
to different parts to bring it closer to the final design.
|
|
Fig. 3.2 - Process in Blender_JPEG (30/7/2026)
|
|
One of the most difficult parts was selecting surfaces around areas that
had already been modified with
Boolean and Bevel, as I
had to be very careful not to select nearby faces by mistake. Although I
had studied different materials earlier, applying them in practice still
required a lot of testing with metallic, roughness, transparency, and
reflection settings. This process helped me better understand how
materials actually behave on a 3D model.
After completing the materials, I further adjusted the
direction and intensity of the lighting
to make the forms and material differences clearer. After rendering, I
used Photoshop for
post-processing, adding extra material textures, shadows, and small
details while slightly enhancing the contrast and glowing effects. This
helped reduce the overly smooth appearance and made the vehicle feel
more mechanical and complete.
|
|
Fig. 3.3 - Final 3D Blockout with color and texture_JPEG
(1/8/2026)
|
|
I also refined the
control panel by
adjusting the layout of the screen, buttons, and handles, while unifying
the materials and glowing details to make the controls clearer and more
futuristic.
|
|
Fig. 3.4 - Final Interior Breakdown_JPEG (1/8/2026)
|
|
PROPS
I also applied
materials and colours
to the props so they matched the overall style of the vehicle. After
the basic render, I used
Photoshop to refine
the surface textures, lighting, and small details, making the medical
kit and handle look more complete and realistic.
|
|
Fig. 3.4 - Props Breakdown_JPEG (3/8/2026)
|
KEY ART
For the
Key Art, I first searched for a background that matched the vehicle’s world
setting and visual style. I chose a scene with futuristic architecture,
cool tones, and an open space so the vehicle could stand out while still
fitting the futuristic city environment.
|
|
Fig. 3.5 - Key Art Background_JPEG (4/8/2026)
|
Next, I adjusted the
lighting and rendering
so the vehicle’s light direction, brightness, and shadows matched the
background more closely. This helped reduce the separation between the
model and the environment, making the vehicle blend more naturally into
the scene and preparing it for the final Key Art post-processing.
|
|
Fig. 3.6 - Process_JPEG (4/8/2026)
|
Finally, I used
Photoshop to further
refine the Key Art by adding ground shadows, reflected light, and small
lighting effects so the vehicle could blend more naturally into the
environment. To better show the vehicle’s scale and actual use, I also
added a riding figure,
making the final presentation clearer and more complete.
|
|
Fig. 3.7 - Final Key Art_JPEG (5/8/2026)
|
<iframe allow="autoplay" height="480"
src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bAvrB_Fptf6OSeySaTUB70qA5dOWBmYm/preview"
width="640"></iframe>
REFLECTION